Saturday 22 August 2015

EFC vs MCFC Sunday 23rd August 2015: Preview

When I saw the fixtures come in for our early run of games the match against Manchester City was not one I was feeling positive about. Especially as it came after an away game against Europa League qualifiers Southampton. What a difference a game can make. Even as I sat in Lanzarote in the sunshine only a few weeks ago the future of the season looked a little bleak as an Evertonian. I do tend to be a positive Blue and did have a heated debate (we will call it) at half time of the Watford game about the abilities of Ross Barkley, but I admit a little part of me was thinking 'here we go again'. Thankfully Mr Barkley proved me right in the first two games of the season. And now I am very much looking forward to our home game against Manchester City tomorrow. 


Looking at the stats as I do, I think there are plenty of positives there as well. Everton have only been defeated twice in the last 17 home games against Manchester City. I am not sure many outside of Goodison would believe that with Manchester City's league success in the last few years. Our last win against them at home was a fantastic game to be at, back in March 2013 when goals from Osman and Jelavic saw the mighty Blues win 2-0. After a dry spell in front of goal from Jelavic the emotions ran high when he scored in added time, I recall my hubby was more concerned about me going into early labour rather than celebrating the goal that day!


As Roberto said in his press conference this week, the games between the two sides at Goodison Park have always been 'close encounters'. Looking at the last five games they look like this:

2014/15 Everton 1 - 1 Manchester City 
2013/14 Everton 2 - 3 Manchester City
2012/13 Everton 2 - 0 Manchester City
2011/12 Everton 1 - 0 Manchester City
2010/11 Everton 2 - 1 Manchester City

They may be close encounters but looking at those last five games recent results would suggest we are very much the favourites for a win at Goodison Park once again. The concern would be about Manchester City's current place in the league with two 3-0 wins under their belts and a very strong squad. But saying that a 3-0 win under Everton's belt should be considered just as significant. The goalscorers in that match, interestingly, were the same goalscorers in the 2013/14 game against City, albeit in a defeat. But if we can get those two players attacking on the break again then Everton will be potentially unstoppable, especially with a vocal Goodison crowd behind them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment