Monday 25 May 2015

EFC vs THFC 24/05/2015

Ok, so my match preview didn't end up with the correct prediction but one thing I did say was that it would be a close call in terms of scoreline! I had said 1-0 or 2-1 to us so I was right in one way, or I'm telling myself that anyway. To be beaten at home on the last day of the season after 12 years going without defeat on this day really sums up the season that we have had. I didn't see anything of Spurs that told me they finished in 5th position in the league. Nothing other than having one of the best goal scorers in our league this season. Everton just seemed to lack the desire to want the glory of a win on the last day of this campaign in front of a packed stadium of fans who have been through the wars this season. With highs that saw us hammer a German side who only a few seasons ago thrashed us in a pre season friendly to lows of being sat so close to the relegation zone we could smell it. The season has not been the easiest on the dedicated fans of Goodison Park. 



I normally get the bragging rights after a visit to the Old Lady but in the few games I've been to this season I've seen us beaten twice, draw once and only win once! Although the win was a 3-0 victory against Man Utd and the draw against Liverpool so it isn't all gloom and doom for me. What has happened to our team had we donned our flip flops and shades and got our towels out too early? I'd like to say we let them win to stop our loveable neighbours taking 5th spot but I am not sure Roberto is quite as bitter as I am! Neither are the majority of our fan base, thankfully, as I found to my dismay at the end of the game yesterday. I was very publicly shamed at my cheering of the 6-1 Stoke win by a man who clearly had seen one too many defeats this season, and felt just because our team had been poor we should not cheer at anything at all whilst in the confines of the Lower Gwladys. I still stand by my cheers and my argument, I have my own reasons for cheering the Kopites' defeats and that's a life time of family members rubbing me up the wrong way. I get that people were annoyed at the defeat, but some of us just love being at Goodison in the sunshine on a bank holiday weekend, I was about to cheer my team as they paraded around the pitch of our home ground and I had something I could wind the red side of my family up about. Why not cheer? Or at least let me crack on in my own little world and carry on in your angry one. Sorry rant over. 

A positive I did take from the game was Mr Galloway. His work rate looked the highest of the entire team, maybe not the greatest feat when everyone else was slacking but I liked what I saw from him. We need an injection of something new, I've heard many Evertonians say they think teams have got on to us which I completely agree with and we need a Brendan Galloway to put them off their stride. We need to be realistic about our ability to make purchases on ready-made good players and I think continuing to bring stars like Galloway, Garbutt (if he stays) and Stones to name a few through to the first team is our USP and the only way we are going to take Everton forward. Elstone's piece in the match day programme is not screaming out that we are planning to spend millions of pounds on new players and my gut instinct is that he has had a spot in this weekend's release to try and put us all in the 'positive' mindset before we receive the news that little money will be spent in the summer. 



I actually had a really good day yesterday and one thing I thought is a step change in recent times for the mighty blues was the preview of the shirt. I always see our neighbours putting their new kit out there and think why are we not doing the same? Although I'm sure when we were with Nike we were at the bottom of the pile of teams for them to get the kit to, but I just thought it was a positive bit of business for us. The kit itself is reminiscent of the 2009/10 season's kit which I am not the absolute biggest fan of but I actually think it is a much improved version. I am more an away kit fan and I love the away kit in that season so I'm hoping we may get to see a bit of that again! I absolutely love the last game of the season and as I said earlier not even a defeat was going to spoil it. We had a rare chance to be able to enjoy a few beverages before the game at the Elm Tree with our fellow blues, taking in the banter and footy chat in the warm spring air. A chippy on the way up to the ground and then the game, ok so it was actually the one thing that kind of got in the way of what else was a good day but that was what I was actually there for. Then came the habitual lap of honour, maybe not as much honour going on this time but I love seeing the players with their children and seeing them up so close it is like for those few moments they let us into their world. A sneaky last drink and some match chat (moaning) on the way home and back on the train. A brief encounter with a drunk Man United fan who clearly was not as up on his footy as the girl he was trying to have off allowed for a few train go-ers a giggle on their journey home. All in all I had a good day, I will miss match day and football in general but in all honesty I think Everton need a break. 



No comments:

Post a Comment